Skokie Public Library Permanent Art Collection

Description

Skokie Public Library’s permanent art collection began in the late 1960s and has grown steadily since then from a small collection of paintings by emerging Chicago artists to an eclectic mix of large-scale sculptures, paintings, prints, and tapestries from local, national, and international artists.

Through a combination of gifts from generous private donors and assisting funds from the Illinois Arts Council, each work of art in the library enlivens the walls and courtyards of this award-winning building, providing visitors with visual inspiration.

This digital collection provides you with a virtual tour of the items in our collection.

Collection Items

Swans
Sculpture of a continuous curved piece of polished and burnished stainless steel with a double loop effect reminiscent of swimming swans. The piece was commissioned specifically for placement in the Water Court on the Library’s First Floor. Weighing…

The Garden
Oil painting of a colorful flower garden with brown fence rail at the bottom left and brick path visible in the upper right. Undated.On original plaque: Barbara SchlenkerTHE GARDENGift of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Fellin During the 1960s and early 1970s,…

Iron Mountain, Michigan No. 3
Abstract acrylic painting in red, turquoise, blue, orange, black, and brown with rectangular shapes in the center.Originally from Detroit, Carl E. Schwartz (1935-2014) studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and the University of Chicago. He taught…

Untitled Corten
Two symmetrical steel forms joined together in the top center. Constructed of Corten steel, an oxidized steel that develops a rust-looking patina that prevents weather damage. About this piece, the artist remarked, “Its symmetry is a recurring theme…

Henry Harms Historic Home in Skokie
Oil painting depicts the house owned by Henry Harms, the founder of Skokie in 1854. The 1869 farmhouse, built of hand-made brick, is shown with a porch and tall trees covered with colorful autumn leaves. This painting was commissioned by the Skokie…

The Sunshine Machine
Wall-mounted sculpture, constructed from mixed media including papier maché, of a box that appears to have a tube running through it from top to bottom. In the center of the box facing outward is a circular opening with a smiling face. Overall light…

Walled City
Abstract oil painting depicts houses and a church with domes and boats in the water in the foreground. Hilda Rubin Pierce was born in Vienna, Austria in 1923, but left for England in 1938, when Hitler took over Vienna. She later moved to Chicago and…

The Chess Game
Abstract painting depicting two figures playing chess in turquoise, blue, and ochre.On original plaque: Carl E. SchwartzTHE CHESS GAMEIn Memory of Harry and Betty Krawitz Originally from Detroit, Carl E. Schwartz (1935-2015) studied at the Art…

Yellow Dome
Abstract painting in green, magenta, gray, and ochre. Signed bottom right, "H. Mintz".Harry Mintz (1907-2002) was born in Poland and trained at the Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts. He moved to Chicago in 1934 and taught at the Art Institute of Chicago…

A Game of Chance
This poster comprises images of the 56 different artist-made playing cards that were exhibited at Printworks Gallery in Chicago to benefit “Y-Me National Breast Cancer Organization,” a national charity based in Chicago at the time. The participating…
View all 48 items

Comments