Sculpture of a continuous curved piece of polished and burnished stainless steel with double loop effect reminiscent of swimming swans. The piece was commissioned specifically for placement in the Water Court on the Library’s First Floor. Weighing approximately one thousand pounds, the sculpture was moved from the artist Elliott Balter’s studio to the Water Court by crane in 1979. The ceremony for the sculpture's dedication was held on Sunday, October 14, 1979.
On plaque: "Elliott Balter/”Swans”/In honor of Hester King/In memory of Armond D. King/made possible by gifts of Armond D. King, Inc./The King Family/First National Bank of Skokie/Skokie Federal Savings and Loan Association/and a grant from/Illinois Arts Council"Elliott Balter (1926-2006) studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Institute of Design at the Illinois Institute of Technology. He was one of the founders of the Skokie Sculpture Park and he taught art at Niles North High School in Skokie. In 1985, Balter opened his back yard Skokie Sculpture Garden to the public. His work has been exhibited at various locations around the United States and in Paris, Barcelona, and London.
In Copyright http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
13 x 8 x 10 feet